[GRASS5] Without FreeType

glynn at gclements.plus.com glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Nov 8 15:19:43 EST 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Currently I try to make the Freetype support optional.
> However, I have a mysterious problem (for me):
>
> configure ... --without-freetype
>
> cd cvsgrass57/display/drivers/lib
> make clean
> make
> ranlib /hardmnt/thuille0/ssi/software/cvsgrass57/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libgrass_driver.a
>

> #check where Freetype is present:
> grep -l FT_ *
> Text3.c
>

> # check if it was compiled:
> ls OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/Text*
> OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/Text2.o  OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/Text.o  OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/Text_size.o
> # -> no, perfect. BUT:
>
> nm /hardmnt/thuille0/ssi/software/cvsgrass57/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libgrass_driver.a | grep FT
>          U FT_Done_Face
>          U FT_Done_FreeType
>          U FT_Init_FreeType
>          U FT_Load_Char
>          U FT_New_Face
>          U FT_Render_Glyph
>          U FT_Set_Char_Size
>          U FT_Set_Transform
>
> How come?

Did you run "make clean" after making the changes?

The build rule for static libraries typically uses "ar cr ...", which
will create the library if it doesn't already exist, then insert all
of the object files into the library, replacing any copies which
already exist. It doesn't delete any existing library.

If there was an old version of the library lying around, it will still
contain Text3.o (you can check with "ar t ..."). However, that
shouldn't matter; object files in an archive which aren't required in
order to satisfy dependencies won't be included in the executable.