[GRASS5] raster inaccuracy

Roger Miller roger at spinn.net
Tue Nov 9 20:11:19 EST 2004

Hamish,

The model region is defined by the authors of the model.  The model origin is
at a more-or-less arbitrary location and the boundaries are such that it
divides equally into 188X256 rows and columns, each 5280 feet wide.

I'm not sure what the actual boundaries of the region were when I produced the
illustration.  That region was set by zooming in on the corner then panning
to the northwest to get a clear view of the corner.  The actual size of the
mismatch varies with the location of the origin and with the resolution of
the region.  I can make the raster representation accurate by going to very
fine resolutions.  Otherwise, if there is any situation in which the raster
map is accurate then it would probably -- as you suggest -- depend on a
getting the right combination of origin, resolution and cell size.

The view in the X monitor is essentially identical to the illustration
provided by the png monitor.

This is not a problem with importing data.  The vector representation of the
model grid was constructed as a Grass ascii vector file.  Using d.where the
grid looks correctly located and dimensioned.  The raster file in this case
is not a model file.  The raster file was created directly off the vector
representation of the grid using v.to.rast.  The raster file and the vector
file represent the same data, but the raster representation is inaccurate,
with the size of the inaccuracy varying with the region resolution and
boundaries.

Roger Miller