[GRASS5] [Fwd: winGRASS]

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Nov 10 11:46:17 EST 2004

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> >> Has the development of a native MS-Win driver continued ?
> >
> > The driver has existed for a while. The --enable-w11 configure switch
> > causes XDRIVER to use an Xlib emulation library which eliminates the
> > need for an X server.
>
> So, this means that it exists and can be used, but that it is outdated and
> no longer supported ?

It's supported in the sense that I will make reasonable efforts to fix
any bugs which are reported.

Note that it isn't a separate driver, in the sense that XDRIVER and
the PNG driver are separate drivers. If you use --enable-w11,
configure will arrange for libX11.a to be built from the
src/display/devices/windows directory, and the X compilation and
linking switches will be be set up so that XDRIVER uses that instead
of e.g. /usr/X11R6/{include,lib}.

Also, this only applies to XDRIVER. Anything else which uses X (e.g.
NVIZ, xganim, r3.showdspf.opengl, tcltkgrass, d.dm) still requires an
X server.

[tcltkgrass and d.dm can't use Cygwin's Tcl/Tk because it isn't
compatible with Cygwin (its file-handling functions use Windows
pathnames rather than Cygwin pathnames). The only available Tcl/Tk
implementation which *is* compatible with Cygwin is the xtcltk
package, and that requires an X server (xtcltk is just the standard
Unix/X11 Tcl/Tk built for Cygwin).]