[GRASS5] Resolution of nviz bus error on Mac?

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Nov 22 00:11:17 EST 2004

Michael Barton wrote:
> I haven't heard anything since Lorenzo Moretti reported problems running
> NVIZ in the current CVS version of GRASS 5.7. This did not have to do with
> the WIND3 issue apparently, but generated a bus error.
>
> Has there been any resolution?

I am not sure whether it is the same problem, but nviz crashes when I try
to display a vector file that was converted from site file (the points display
correctly in 2D).(vector file converted from old line vector file works well).
Below is the error message. Tis might have been fixed meanwhile - my nviz
is few weeks old.

I did quite a bit of work with nviz in 5.7 including reviving multiple
dynamic surfaces (such as these
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/publwork/figs/a57tenslpcn.gif (it is 14MB so you have to wait
for it to load, they are easy to make using file sequence tools
and then creating animated gif using "convert", the animation shows impact of RST tension on lidar-based
surface, curvature and slope).
Everything hat I tried works well except the vector points and for animations, I cannot get it to redraw
at full resolution for files larger than 500x500 - probably an old bug in scripting tool.

Helena

Vector file atmlid99ieesrd at ieee loaded.
Total vect memory = 0 Kbytes
child killed: segmentation violation
     while executing
"exec /home/helena/grasscvs57/grass-5.7.cvs/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f /home/helena/grasscvs57/grass-5.7.cvs/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script lid99.t30..."
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script $argv -name NVIZ >&@stdout"
     invoked from within
"if {$argv == ""} {
#no arguments
eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script -name NVIZ >&@stdo..."
     (file "/home/helena/grasscvs57/grass-5.7.cvs/bin/nviz" line 16)