[GRASS5] d.m - d.what.vect

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Nov 24 17:52:17 EST 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > The form mode does not work correctly at least for ALL Mac users.
>
> So maybe we just conditionalize for Mac users?
>
> As we also got positive answers from Debian users there
> is no systematic Linux problem (maybe tcl8.3 is broken on Debian
> or whatever).

It never worked on RedHat 6.2 either.

I don't think that the problem is Tcl/Tk being broken, but that form.c
makes certain assumptions about the behaviour of the Tcl/Tk
implementation which may or may not hold, so when it works, it's
basically luck.

If it's to be retained, the form library should be rewritten to be
less fragile.

In particular, the communication protocol should be implemented in
Tcl. Tcl does its own stuff with stdin/stdout; C code shouldn't be
messing with them.

form.c should be re-implemented as a typical "enhanced wish", i.e. it
should register submit() as a Tcl-callable procedure at the end of
Tcl_AppInit() and do the rest in Tcl.

Until then, console output must at least be an option for d.what.vect.