[GRASS5] Let's release 5.4 asap

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 06:26:57 EDT 2004

Hello Bernhard

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

>>> Straight away we could delete 5.0 from the list on the
>>> front page leaving only 5.3 and 5.7 I think.
>>
>> I'll do that if there aren't objections.
>
> No, please do not reduce the choice of people, it will hurt them.
> I suggest to use slightly better wording and get 5.4.0 out.
> If somebody has ongoing work on 5.0.x and wants to be even more
> conservative, he needs to be able to still find 5.0.x, even when
> it is not the recommended stable version anymore.

Of course it will still be there, in the list of old versions along with
4.3. I know having 4.3 still available has been very useful to me on
several occasions and I don't think there should be any question of
deleting the 5.0.x source distributions etc., but 5.0 should not be
prominent in the links on the front page IMHO.

> For me the criteria would be is 5.4.0 as stable as 5.0.x.
> I understand from you that this is the case, thus we can go to 5.4.0.

That is certainly true.

> We need to keep open CVS for bug fixes on 5.4.x anyway.
> A stable version needs to be actively maintained by common standards.
> But new features should go into 5.7 then.

This is already the case I suppose. So by that logic releasing 5.4.0 now
would make sense.
The one big thing I would like to change is to make the alternate build
mechanism the default for 5.4.0. That will require a few changes to the
r.terraflow makefile. We can always recommend OS X users to use
--enable-shared=no with 5.4 for now.

I suggest we leave it until the middle of next week to allow some final
changes.

>> It should also disappear from the download page then.
>
> As written above: I do not like the idea to have it disappear.

I feel it should be moved to the 'Old versions' section along with 4.3
etc.

Paul