[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:4446] Re: [GRASS translations] Slovenian

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Oct 2 04:25:52 EDT 2004

Hamish wrote:

> > > I am willing to translate GRASS in Slovenian language.
> > > The problem is that I am very new to this kind of
> > > task. Markus promised no programming skills are
> > > necessary. Is there an easy step by step howto on the
> > > net.
> >
> > OK, I have added a new web page:
> >  http://grass.itc.it/i18n.html
>
> question:
>
> if we change a _("text string") in the original source code, do we need
> to go though all the translation sets and adjust them too? or can the
> "make update-po" step somehow figure this out?

You don't *need* to do anything. If the string can't be found in the
message catalogue, the original (English) string will be returned.

Apart from that, keeping the message catalogues in sync with the
source code is the responsibility of the translators, not of the
programmers.

> If I do that but don't have the correct encodings installed on my system
> (eg for Russian) is this likely to mess up the entire translation file?

Don't try to edit message catalogues for unfamiliar languages,
particularly those in unfamiliar encodings.