[GRASS5] Mawk vs Gawk?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Oct 3 04:24:55 EDT 2004

Hamish wrote:

> I've just noticed that (debian/testing's) mawk doesn't work with 5.3's
> v.in.garmin.sh. Specifically, it doesn't like "%lf"s.
>
> Should the script be changed to "%f"s or should mawk be unsupported?

Changed.

> bug or feature? The mawk man page states %lf should be supported.

Bug in v.in.garmin.sh; it's relying unnecessarily upon a gawk
extension.

The Info file for gawk 3.0.4 says:

     C programmers may be used to supplying additional `l' and `h' flags
  in `printf' format strings. These are not valid in `awk'.  Most `awk'
  implementations silently ignore these flags.  If `--lint' is provided
  on the command line (*note Command Line Options: Options.), `gawk' will
  warn about their use. If `--posix' is supplied, their use is a fatal
  error.