[GRASS5] Keeping old version accessible.

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Oct 11 13:32:33 EDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 08:37:57PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:56:07PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> [...]
> > I wrote that a few mails ago and it was meant against "deleting 5.0"
> > from the servers. (That was a missunderstanding that got clarified,
> > nobody proposed to delete it.)
>
> [also related to your latest message, Bernhard]
>
> Just to clarify that again: Radim and me have spent much time to
> find (!) all the versions. We still try to get hands on the
> CERL-4.2 which was never published. Jim Westervelt is trying to
> find it for me (us). So, just by entering the
> web site through ftp you can see all the versions in subdirectories.

Yes, you did not delete them as I wrote above.
(clarified the third time now.) ;)

> Perhaps you didn't see this page?
>  http://grass.itc.it/grass_releases.html
> Not sure what else could be done.
> You can click on all versions and grab the source code.

I did see that page and in comparision to the table
that was there before it basically got "hidden".
What can you do:
Make a direct link to the ftp directory (ftp://grass.itc.it/pub/grass/)
which has all the versions, or better:
Have page only listing the old source tarballs in a table
clearly marking them as source tarballs.
Even better would to to improve the structure to have an
directory only containing all the sources, e.g. much like:
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/

> If you want to see detailed changes (diffs), go here:
>  http://mpa.itc.it/radim/g50history/
>
> Radim has spent much time to make it convenient HTML pages.
> He even fetched all related emails:
>  http://mpa.itc.it/radim/g50history/grass50history.html

Yes, very important work.

> However, to offer many different development lines is impossible
> unless more developers join the team. But this has been discussed
> often enough.

And I tend to disagree because keeping them available and clearly marking
their status is a matter of marking and keeping the revisions,
not of more effort. Then each person can choose what version to try.
And old one or a different one.
Of course I agree that we need more contributors
and until they come, it might well be that a stable version
is only stable in their bugs. ;)

	Bernhard