[GRASS5] [bug #2656] (grass) v.out.ogr fails to write negative cat values

William K woklist at charter.net
Tue Oct 12 14:55:07 EDT 2004

Ah.  Should I refile this as a bug for r.contour?

On Oct 12, 2004, at 10:57 AM, Radim Blazek wrote:

> Cat values should never be negative. r.contour should
> be modified to create a table.
>
> Radim
>
> On Monday 11 October 2004 19:47, Request Tracker wrote:
>> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2656
>> ---
>>
>> Subject: v.out.ogr fails to write negative cat values
>>
>> Platform: Mac OSX
>> grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
>> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
>> GRASS Version: 5.7cvs20041009
>>
>> When exporting a vector map with no attribute table, just cats, and
>> the
>> cats contain some negative values, those negative values don't get
>> exported.  The feature is still exported, just with no cat value.
>> GRASS
>> says 'WARNING: nn features without category written' on all formats.
>> In a
>> shapefile, the values in the dbf are a string of asterisks
>> '***********'.
>> In a csv file it's just empty.  In a MapInfo dat file, I can't tell
>> for
>> sure (just poking around with a hex editor), but it looks like they
>> are
>> either zero or null.
>>
>> Example: lines generated from r.contour get no attribute table, with
>> the
>> elevations (rounded to integers) in the category, and lines that are
>> below
>> sea level (or otherwise negative elevation) get negative categories.
>>
>> v.out.ascii works fine and exports negative cat values.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if
you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm
50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy