[GRASS5] v.in.ascii problems

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 19:38:40 EDT 2004

> In GRASS 5.7, I¹ve used v.in.ascii in the past to import point files
> to vector points. It is supposed to also import ascii vector files and
> convert them to binary. I tried it today and it didn¹t work. To test
> it, I exported a small vector file to ascii_using v.out.ascii. I tried
> it with the ver. 4 flag checked and unchecked (it gave me identical
> results in this case). Then I tried to import the same file. Here is
> the output:
>
> v.in.ascii input=vector_test_ver4 output=vector_test
> WARNING: The vector 'vector_test' already exists and will be
> overwritten.uilding topology ...
> Registering lines:
> 1 primitives registered
> Building areas:  100%0 areas built
> 0 isles built
> Attaching islands:
>
> Attaching centroids:  100%
>
> Topology was built.
> Number of nodes     :   2
> Number of primitives:   1
> Number of points    :   0
> Number of lines     :   1
> Number of boundaries:   0
> Number of centroids :   0
> Number of areas     :   0
> Number of isles     :   0
>

> The line actually has 53 nodes. When I go to display it, there is
> nothing to display.

Are you sure you have the input order correct? the vector-ascii format
uses y,x (lat,lon) ...

I just made some updates so v.in.ascii (points mode) would deal with
Mac OS9 and DOS formatted input (newlines) in a more sane manner. Can
you send me the input file to test?

> What I am trying to do is convert a track of gps points into a vector
> line for display. This should be relatively easy using v.in.ascii. But
> something is not working_or am I missing a subtle point somewhere?

Have a look at the v.in.garmin script in 5.7 for some awk magic that
does this.

Hamish