[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:4606] Re: 5.4.0 Release Candidate on solaris 9

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Oct 22 02:27:00 EDT 2004

Gordon Keith wrote:

> I tried downloading and installing grass-5.4.0pre1 on a new Solaris 9 box.

> Then I tried to configure and got:
>
> $ ./configure

> checking for Build Mechanism to be used... Alternate
> configure: error: ***  Build directory should not be the same as source
> directory for the alternate build mechanism. Create a separate build
> directory and run again, e.g. mkdir ~/grass-build; cd ~/grass-build; /usr/
> src/grass/configure ... (see mk/README)
>
> Any idea why it has chosen the Alternate build mechanism?

That is the default now. You need to either:

a) use --enable-gmake to use the old gmake5 mechanism, or

b) create a separate build directory, i.e.

	$ mkdir build
	$ cd build
	$ ../configure ...

Option b) has the advantage that you can keep multiple builds around;
however, the alternate build mechanism requires GNU make, or at least
something which is reasonably compatible (include, ifeq, $(subst...)).