[GRASS5] Surface Reconstruction/Interpolation

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 28 10:40:01 EDT 2004

Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Vidya wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am a computer science student and got to do a semester project in
>> the area of surface reconstruction. I would want to relate my project
>> to GRASS/GIS/terrain analysis. I went through the wish list of
>> projects in the GRASS website but didnt find anything much concerning
>> interpolation or surface reconstruction problems. Is there any scope
>> for a project in this area ?
>

> You could try and get s.surf.krig working properly, or some of the sites
> modules that Radim recently ported to 5.7 that have inefficient
> algorithms. Search for s.surf.krig and s.kcv in some of the recent
> mailing list archives for some ideas.

or even better you could try to do build support for TINs - we don't have that at all
and that would be more related
to surface reconstruction problems than kriging (I already expressed my
opinion that kriging and geostatistics is best served through bridge to R,
unless we would get somebody with long-term commitment to this area).
Or you can contact me and let me know in more detail what you want to do,
as we are doing a significant update of the spline-based surface modeling tools
for GRASS and there is quite a bit of work to be done there too.
You can find more at
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/
and some older overview here:
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/index.html