[GRASS5] r.in.png error?

Namnath, Sharyn NamnatSR at NV.DOE.GOV
Fri Sep 3 14:31:32 EDT 2004

> However, it's debatable whether you should be re-importing images
> which were created using the PNG driver into GRASS. For
> zooming/panning around a map (or series of maps), you would normally
> create a new PNG file each time, by the same means that the original
> PNG file was created.

Ideally, this would be the case, but some of the data files are large areas
such as continents. I'd like to be able to show the world first, then the
user click on any place in the map and it zooms into an area such as a
continent or perhaps something a little closer (at some point I imagine I'll
have to create another higher resolution map of that area as they get
closer). As they keep clicking, they zoom in closer and closer until they
get to a country or state or city. Then I will give them information on that
area such as official bird, tourist landmarks, or other items of interest.
I'm a beginner at this, so I could be going about it totally wrong.  I'm
open for suggestions though.

Thanks again,
sharyn