[GRASS5] Re: GDAL - new GRASS driver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Sep 13 14:35:11 EDT 2004

Radim Blazek wrote:
> Ciao Frank,
>
> can you tell me if there is a chance that could be included to GDAL distribution
> or not, or if you have any requirements?

Radim,

OK, this has been stalled for a long time, but I have finally incorporated
your new grass driver for 5.7.  My delay was primarily because I am not
happy only having the 5.7 compatible version, so I have altered the configure
logic to support both.  I had hoped to review the coordinate system issue
but in the end I decided it was better to get stuff in rather than wait for
some distant future when I get up the gump to deal with the linkage issues
that were the source of that problem.

So, currently, GDAL CVS has two versions of grassdataset.cpp.  The original
for use with libgrass, and your version now called grass57dataset.cpp.

To configure with your use:

  --with-grass=<dir>

ie.

   --with-grass=/usr/local/grass-5.7.0

To use the old one you now use a different configure switch:

   --with-libgrass=<dir>

These will drive the make architecture to select the appropriate source to
build.

I had also hoped to be able to use your new version with GRASS 5.3 and looked
at that briefly, but it seems the GRASS 5.3.0 I installed is lacking lots of
stuff that would be required.  So, for now the new driver support is only
suitable for GRASS 5.7 and all other versions should continue to use the
libgrass based version.

This has been the main issue holding up a GDAL 1.2.2 release which I now hope
to issue by the end of the week.

I have forced a rebuild of the GDAL daily CVS snapshot in case you or anyone
else wants to try the new configure support.  I would appreciate feedback over
the next couple of days.

   http://gdal.maptools.org/dl/daily

Best regards,