[GRASS5] Michigan Georef parameters?

jaggett jaggett at vt.edu
Wed Sep 15 12:33:56 EDT 2004

Paul,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I tried what you suggested regarding
the dummy values, but this didn't work. As soon as I tried projecting a map
into the Georef location, from another location, I received an error message
regarding the projection parameters.

You are quite right...there are 2 methods for specifying the projection.
Apparently, the more commonly used method is the "one point method", for which
I have the necessary projection parameters. GRASS, however, seems to be set up
only to allow for the "two point method".

I would appreciate any further advice...

Thanks!

Jonathan

>===== Original Message From Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> =====
>Hello
>
>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, jaggett wrote:
>
>> Hi There,
>>
>> I'm trying to set up a Georef coordinate location for Michigan (Oblique
>> Mercator Projection), and could use some help. I am not sure what GRASS is
>> wanting when it requests certain parameter values (seems like a "Two Point
>> Method" for parameter specification). Amongst others, GRASS asks for the
>> following parameters:
>>
>> Enter Central Parallel [lat_0] (0) :
>>
>> Enter First Standard Parallel [lat_1] (45S) :
>>
>> Enter Second Standard Parallel [lat_2] (45N) :
>>
>> Enter Central Meridian [lon_0] (20E) :
>>
>> Enter First Standard Meridian [lon_1] (40W) :
>>
>> Enter Second Standard Meridian [lon_2] (40E) :
>>
>> I believe the Central Parallel (lat_0) and the Central Meridian (lon_0)
have
>> the following values, respectively: 45.30917 deg N & 86 deg W.
>> However, I do not have answers for the following: lat_1, lat_2, lon_1 and
>> lon_2. Does anyone know the values for these parameters?
>
>This is a wild guess, put perhaps there are two ways of specifying the
>projection, either a "one point method" using the central values, or a
>"two point method" using the 1st and 2nd. The code in GRASS that
>interactively prompts for projection parameters is a little illogical in
>places, but there is currently nothing better available.
>
>If my guess is correct then you could put in dummy values for the
>parameters you don't know, and then after the process has completed and
>the location created manually edit the PROJ_INFO file in the PERMANENT mapset
>directory of your location and delete the lines for lat_1, lat_2,lon_1 and
>lon_2 (leaving those for lat_0 and lon_0 and the other parameters intact).
>
>I don't know about the omerc projection though and this might be totally
>wrong.
>
>> My other question is: Is there any way of using a "Central Point and
Azimuth