[GRASS5] [bug #2626] (grass) on the fly reprojection with .prj projection

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 11:05:18 EDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Request Tracker wrote:

> Arcview use in v8 and 9 .prj files to specified the projection of a shapefile.  This allow the view to be
> independant from shape projection.  You may have many projections of shapefile like geographical,
> utm and other and choose to make the view in utm.  If not specified (no .prj) geographical is the
> defaut.
>
> If grass could support this feature it could be a verry good improvement.  No need to reproject files
> receive from many source.  Just be sure each shape have is own .prj file.

That would be a nice feature for v.external but I have never used it so
can't go into detail. Only that if the external OGR file had no projection
information it should not assume lat/long---there should be a warning
and/or ask the user is it OK to interpret the map as being in the same
projection as the current location.

> With it and utility to make that .prj files for shape without that .prj is also needed.

That exists already: see the man page for g.proj
v.out.ogr also writes a .prj file when creating a Shapefile.