[GRASS5] [bug #2637] (grass) (better) implementation of Spatial Models

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Sep 27 09:26:22 EDT 2004

Martin:

This is not a bug. GRASPER is quite sophisticated and involved a lot of
hard work. Any data analysis involves a lot of data collection, data
cleaning, and then analysis (with lots of possible alternatives to choose
between). Nobody, not even the big proprietary GIS provide
point-and-click analysis - and I would not trust their results if they
did. If you choose to contribute dressed-up TclTk interfaces to scripts
for GRASPER etc., feel free, but I think you'll find that you are into at
least a 10K lines project just to start with. The bottom line is on Frank
Harrell's "Can one be a good data analyst without being a half-good
programmer? The short answer to that is,`No.' The long answer to that is,
`No.'"

(http://www.georeference.org/Forums/random-quotes/view-random-quotes.asp)

which means scripting anyway.

Roger Bivand