[GRASS5] Wisconsin NLCD...

jaggett jaggett at vt.edu
Tue Sep 28 14:07:10 EDT 2004

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been downloading NLCD data from the following website (binary files):
http://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/landcover/states/

I have successfully downloaded, and read in to GRASS, NLCD data for a
number of states. However, I am having problems with the data for
Wisconsin. I was using the following commandline to read the data into
GRASS:
"r.in.bin input=wisconsin.nlcd.bin output=nlcd bytes=1 title="Wisconsin
NLCD 05/04" north=2715090 south=2179470 east=764370 west=241980 r=17855
c=17414"
However, I kept getting the following error message:
"Bytes do not match File size
File Size 322385382 ... Total Bytes 310926970
Try bytes=1 or adjusting input parameters"

I then contacted the USGS people, and they said that they had made a mistake,
and that the row number should be 18513, not 17855 (18513 rows x 17414 cols
=322,385,382 bytes). After making this change, I was able to read the data
into GRASS. However, the NLCD map does not line up with the Wisconsin county
map (see attached figure), and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.
I have had someone else read in the data with ArcGIS, and the maps did line up
for them, which leads me to think that (unless I'm doing something wrong),
there may be a problem with the data, for which a solution may have been
incorporated in arcGIS, and not GRASS??

Would it be possible for someone else to pull in the Wisconsin nlcd (in
GRASS), and to confirm whether this is in fact my error, or whether there is a
"larger problem"? Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Jonathan Aggett