[GRASS5] MacOSX file name recognition bug in G6?

William K woklist at charter.net
Thu Apr 21 11:27:51 EDT 2005

(looks like Lorenzo responded on the other list, but I'll expand on it
a bit)

On a (standard) HFS+ file system, the Mac is _case-aware_, but not
case-sensitive.  (it stores filenames with case, but doesn't care).
works in unicode too: á = Á, but á != a.

If the file system where the GRASS files are is UFS (not reccomended by
most Mac users), it should be case-sensitive.

This creates porting problems sometimes, but these days I think most
'nix developers have taken care of it when it's an issue in the source
(ie the source including different case-sensitive files, or trying to
create them in compilation or when running).  Then it's just up to
non-Mac users to be aware of this (ie in your case trying to use both
mask and MASK).

I'm a little confused here:

> #Remove MASK:
> GRASS 6.1.cvs (pat_gaussboaga):~ > g.remove MASK
> REMOVE [MASK]
>  raster
>  header
>  category
>  color
>  history
>  misc
>  fcell    MISSING
>  g3dcell  MISSING
>
> #create file with name 'mask' (but not MASK):
> GRASS 6.1.cvs (pat_gaussboaga):~ > r.mapcalc
> "mask=if(isnull(po06_snow007),null(),1)"
>  100%
> [Raster MASK present]
> -> ouch.

did the mapcalc create 'MASK' or 'mask' at this point?  That would be
odd - it should create 'mask', since it's case-aware.