[GRASS5] Troubles with gdb

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 22:57:00 EDT 2005

> I have troubles because gdb (6.0-2) seems not to understand that gcc
> (3.4.3) produces the debug information (with -g option). When I invoke
> gdb it replies: [...]
> (no debugging symbols found)...Using host libthread_db library
> "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
>
> and it does not allow me to view source code.
>
> This happens in Mandrake 10.0 distribution with Grass5.4.
>
> Any suggestion?

a) make sure you didn't strip the debug info out after putting it in,
i.e. don't use LDFLAGS="-s" in the ./configure step.

b) Compiling with CFLAGS="-g" will of course only add debug hooks into
what you are compiling. It won't help you debug external libraries, e.g.
libthread_db.so from GNU libc6.

Hamish