[GRASS5] Re: d.vect.thematic wish: handle null values

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Aug 13 20:12:29 EDT 2005

I think that this is the place in v.univar.sh that needs to be updated to
deal with null values

# calculate statistics
echo "Calculating statistics..."
cat $TMP | awk 'BEGIN {sum = 0.0 ; sum2 = 0.0}
NR == 1{min = $1 ; max = $1}
       {sum += $1 ; sum2 += $1 * $1 ; N++}
       {
        if ($1 > max) {max = $1}
        if ($1 < min) {min = $1}
       }
END{
print ""
print "Number of values:",N
print "Minimum:",min
print "Maximum:",max
print "Range:",max-min
print "-----"
print "Mean:",sum/N
print "Variance:",(sum2 - sum*sum/N)/N
print "Standard deviation:",sqrt((sum2 - sum*sum/N)/N)
print "Coefficient of variation:",(sqrt((sum2 -
sum*sum/N)/N))/(sqrt(sum*sum)/N)
print "-----"
}'

I think there needs to be the equivalent of

for $1<>""

in the beginning of this. Any awk expert know how to implement this?

Of course if v.univar were expanded to accomplish the same things as
v.univar.sh ...

Michael