[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:7895] Re: Hutchinson's Adaptive Alogrithm for sound DEMs?

Jaro Hofierka hofierka at geomodel.sk
Tue Aug 16 06:19:41 EDT 2005

Maciek Sieczka wrote:

>> Moreover, rivers sometimes do not follow exactly adjacent terrain as the
>> river flows in the channel, etc.
>

> That could be overcome by "stream burning" I guess. Each cell which falls
> into the watercouse is lowered for, say, 0.1 m. This usualy does the trick.

Maciek,

The problem is a bit more complex than you are suggesting here. Rivers
on lowlands flow usually within the walls (sediment deposits), so the
river is actually above the terrain. I am not sure if "stream burning"
helps in this case, at least it cannot be fully automated.
Anyway, there are plenty of algorithms that handle water courses/flows,
DEM depresion filling, etc. The excellent module for this application in
GRASS is r.terraflow, you even do not need a hydrologically-enforced DEM
to get all water into the outlet.
Some of your suggestions for v.surf.rst are interesting, e.g.
faults/breaklines, other problems can be solved outside v.surf.rst in a
separate module. Perhaps Helena can help to select reasonable
improvements for v.surf.rst that are worth of effort.

Jaro