[GRASSLIST:7941] Re: [GRASS5] DEM/GRASS improvements - Knowledge

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Aug 19 16:50:53 EDT 2005

On Aug 19, 2005, at 3:41 PM, Maciek Sieczka wrote:

> Thanks Markus!
>
> Markus wrote:
>> This module is now available from here:
>> http://grass.itc.it/outgoing/
>>
>> See:
>> http://grass.itc.it/outgoing/r.carveREADME.txt
>
> I guess r.carve could be a starting point for watercorse enforcement in
> v.surf.rst.
>
> Helena,
>
> How does the r.enforce mentioned on
> http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/reports/cerl99/rep99.html
> compare
> to r.carve?

it is the same thing. It did not get tested much so I am not sure how
well it works.
I have found that for our applications a better solution was to include
the information about stream channels
into the flowrouting  program rather than change the DEM.

Helena

> P.S.
>
> Next week I'll post a summary of different approaches for modelling
> faults, watercourses, ridges and waterbodies I know of so we could
> discuss cons and pros of each. Please point to any other besides
> Surfer 8, CatchmentSIM, ANUDEM and Surge. Does anybody know of any
> more information available about approaches originating from Grass,
> besides the above mentioned and the famous Cebecauer et al. 2002?

Helena Mitasova
Dept. of Marine, Earth and Atm. Sciences
1125 Jordan Hall, NCSU Box 8208,
Raleigh NC 27695
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/