[GRASS5] [bug #3591] (grass) d.vect.thematic (and other scripts): LC_NUMERIC setting not used in my Debian

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Tue Aug 30 08:42:03 EDT 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3591

Subject: d.vect.thematic (and other scripts): LC_NUMERIC setting not used in my Debian

Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
grass obtained from: CVS
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: cvs20050830

This is not really a GRASS bug, but it has important consequences for d.vect.thematic and, therefore, is worth mentioning.

On my Debian testing/unstable machine with a grass package created using libc6 debian package number 2.3.5-5, the individual LC settings cannot be changed. For example:

> locale
LANG=fr_BE
LC_CTYPE="fr_BE"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_BE"
LC_TIME="fr_BE"
LC_COLLATE="fr_BE"
LC_MONETARY="fr_BE"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_BE"
LC_PAPER="fr_BE"
LC_NAME="fr_BE"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_BE"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_BE"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_BE"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_BE"
LC_ALL=fr_BE

> export LC_NUMERIC=C
> locale
LANG=fr_BE
LC_CTYPE="fr_BE"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_BE"
LC_TIME="fr_BE"
LC_COLLATE="fr_BE"
LC_MONETARY="fr_BE"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_BE"
LC_PAPER="fr_BE"
LC_NAME="fr_BE"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_BE"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_BE"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_BE"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_BE"
LC_ALL=fr_BE

export LC_ALL=C works as expected.

I have found a bug report in Debian about this, which was marked as solved for a previous version of libc6: http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2002/10/msg00333.html

Apparently it is not solved, and I'll report this to Debian, but this means that we maybe should think about using LC_ALL=C in scripts, instead of LC_NUMERIC.

Unless this is a specific problem to my config.
Can other Debian users confirm this ?

Moritz