[GRASS5] New grid options

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 21:35:05 EDT 2005

> Markus and I have added a couple of new options to d.grid. It now
> accepts gsize and gcolor arguments for drawing a geographic
> (projected)  grid. The gsize option sets the size of the geographic
> grid. It accepts  both decimal degrees and colon seperated coordinates
> (eg. 00:30:00). The  gcolor option sets the color of the geographic
> grid.
>
> Please test and let me know if you encounter any problems.

nice.

I had been making grid files with v.mkgrid + v.split in a lat/lon
location, then reprojecting that into my target location and using
d.vect type=boundary. &/or exporting as a shape file for QGIS.

Why have gcolor and gsize? Why not use a flag and reuse size= and
color= options? Would take slight modifications to the size= option to
take a string & parse, but would be a lot clearer to use. I can't
imagine wanting to draw both local and geodesic grids in the same
instance of d.grid.

Any progress in adding text labels to where grid lines cross the left
and bottom edges of the display monitor? (like ps.map's grid and geogrid
instructions)

note it will probably fall over if you are using a grid file for the
datum transform (g.proj settings) and zoom out to beyond the edge of the
grid file coverage.

Hamish