[GRASS5] [bug #3898] (grass) Object Oriented Classification

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Thu Dec 15 18:06:31 EST 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3898

Subject: Object Oriented Classification

Platform: Mac OSX
grass obtained from: CVS
grass binary for platform: Downloaded precompiled Binaries
GRASS Version: 6.1.cvs

I've recently been made aware of a classification systems called object oriented classification.  At pressent, the only program that does it is eCognition.  I hate to use the term "wave of the future" but I think it qualifies.  I was wondering what the possiblity of working object oriented classification into GRASS would be?  It already does supervised and unsupervised classification (as well as partially supervised).

Not being a programer, I am not sure how complicated that would be, so I am not holding my breath for 6.1.  But may be a release down the road.

GRASS has the capablities of ARCGIS and ERDAS Imagine.  Imagine may be incorperating object oriented classification soon, so it would be useful if there were an opensource alternitive.

Thanks for listening.

Kurt Springs