[GRASS5] custom icons...

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 23:20:58 EST 2005

> Recently I saw a discussion/post about how to create (and draw) new
> icons on GRASS.
>
> I have plans to use GRASS for ESI maps, but there is a problem: I need
> to have ESI symbols (see link below for an example).
>
> http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/type_subtopic_entry.php?RECORD_KEY%28entry_subtopic_type%29=entry_id,subtopic_id,type_id&entry_id(entry_subtopic_type)=312&subtopic_id(entry_subtopic_type)=5&type_id(entry_subtopic_type)=2<http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/type_subtopic_entry.php?RECORD_KEY%28entry_subtopic_type%29=entry_id,subtopic_id,type_id&entry_id%28entry_subtopic_type%29=312&subtopic_id%28entry_subtopic_type%29=5&type_id%28entry_subtopic_type%29=2

as a first stop, did you ask ESI if they will just give them to you?
  email <orr.esi at noaa.gov>

If so, be sure to find out what rights you have to use and redistribute
them & their derivatives. If they exist as a font use d.text.freetype.

It would be really nice to have some simple parser to convert a .eps file
to a d.graph input file, have d.graph handle .eps internally, &/or a .eps
to grass symbol converter. (simple features only)

> So, this icons are a little complex for drawing. Is possible to
> include SVG icons (or any vector /bitmap format) on GRASS? (Note: I
> know how to do this on QGIS).

You could get this PDF
 http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/book_shelf/890_Key.pdf

Convert to PostScript and try extracting the coordinates.

Zooming in on them looks like they started out as vectors.

In a method mentioned by Paul some time ago, you could save a zoomed
version as a raster, load into GRASS in a XY location, run r.thin,
r.to.vect, v.clean, and 'v.out.ascii format=standard' to get the
resulting lines.

-or- if you can digitize them in QGIS, do so. Load into GRASS, use
v.transform to center them on 0,0 and scale appropriately, export lines
with 'v.out.ascii format=standard'.

Then edit that text file to add the symbol commands around the line
verticies.

It's work, but possible.

Hamish