Hindi support in GRASS 6.1 - was Re: [GRASS5] Fwd: Indic support in GRASS GIS with Indix2

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Dec 22 05:33:51 EST 2005

Hi again,

an update for support of Indian languages:

- we now have messages files in Hindi available (still to be
  translated)
- we can out-of-the-box generate Hindi (or other) scripts
  in the GRASS monitor using TTF fonts, see screenshot at
  http://grass.itc.it/devel/i18n.php
  -> example for Hindi
     http://grass.itc.it/images/grass61_hindi_hi.jpg

Note that this is a proof of concept example in Spearfish,
done with:

#extraction of phrase in Hindi:
head -37 locale/po/grassmods_hi.po | tail -1 > /tmp/hindi
echo "599505|4921010|`cat /tmp/hindi | cut -d'"' -f2 `" | v.in.ascii out=hindi

d.rast elevation.dem
v.db.select hindi
d.vect hindi icon=basic/circle
d.font.freetype font=/usr/share/fonts/hi/lohit_hi.ttf
d.vect hindi disp=attr attr=str_1 lsize=40 lcol=blue

Works :-)

Cheers

 Markus