[GRASS5] r.example on spearfish60 data

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Dec 29 06:44:43 EST 2005

marcos boullón magán wrote:

> (BTW: I assume the x10 size increase instead a predicted x100
> --resolution changed in the both dimensions x10-- is because the map
> is stored in compressed format; could anyone confirm?)

Probably. By default, integer rasters are stored using run-length
encoding. A run of 2 or more cells with the same value only takes one
byte more than a single cell.

It's likely that each map row takes almost the same amount of space
regardless of the resolution, so the 10-fold increase simply reflects
the 10-fold increase in the number of rows (there is no inter-row
compression).