[GRASS5] Platform for next generation UI

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Sat Dec 31 16:44:41 EST 2005

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:05:17 +0000
Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> It needs to be borne in mind that GRASS doesn't exactly have an glut
> of developers, so we need to get the most out of those which we have.

I totally agree with this. If everyone wants to use GTK or wx, that
is fine with me, I'll learn and contribute as I have time and ability. I
raised the GTK on Mac issue because Michael had raised it and to my
knowledge he has been doing a great deal of the work on the Tcltk GUI
and has been spearheading the new GUI project so I don't want to loose
his contributions. If I'm wrong in this point, I apologize to anyone
involved, I've only been on the list a short time.

I think your line of thinking however is bang on. We need something that
is technically adequate, but we also have limited developer resources,
so we have to choose something that everyone can use, or learn easily.
This is why I had proposed the possibility of using Qt and C++ for parts
where speed is needed and PyQt for everything else. Python is easy
to learn (if one doesn't know it) and runs everywhere. This however is
just a suggestion.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)