[GRASS5] i.rectify mailing code RIP

Joel Peter William Pitt pittj2 at lincoln.ac.nz
Tue Feb 1 00:12:48 EST 2005

Hamish wrote:

>I've ripped the mailing code out of i.rectify and made it into a
>normal(er) module using G_percent(), stdout, etc.
>
>shall this be added for the 6 beta series or should I sit on it for a
>while?
>

>(i.ortho.photo is the only other module like this, AFAICT, but there
>is still the error message stuff in the libs)
>
>My only hesitation is that I worry that GRASS just won't be GRASS
>without oddities like your computer telling you "This'll take a while:
>go get some coffee, we'll email you when it's done."
>oh well. progress.

Maybe a wrapper script should be incorporated that
runs a Grass command, logs command output and then
emails a user? Although if you are using Grass and have
manually set up your mail system then you could write
this script yourself. Still, might be nice to have a standard
Grass one...

Another thing for tasks that take a long time is linking
to a notification system such as KNotify.

Joel