[GRASS5] Large image fuzziness?

David Piasecki piasecda at nv.doe.gov
Tue Feb 1 10:47:35 EST 2005

I have a set of 3 jpg files with corresponding world files that I
imported into GRASS using r.in.gdal. I did a d.rast -o for each of the
3 images and expanded my region with d.extend. Since the precision of
d.extend isn't as good as the original region files (solved that
problem yesterday), I manually changed the region to encompass the full
extent of all 3 files. Then I did a r.patch on each rgb component (i.e.
"r.patch input=image0.red,image1.red,image2.red output=map.red"),
modified the cellhd file for map.red, map.green, and map.blue to have
[0-rows] north/south and [0-cols] east/west with resolution values = 1.
The image was completely clear as it should be when viewed in the GRASS
X11 monitor (x0); however, using the PNG graphics driver produced an
image that was slightly fuzzy (GRASS_WIDTH=cols and GRASS_HEIGHT=rows
and GRASS_TRUECOLOR=TRUE), as if the driver was performing some
operation on the image values before saving the file. I tried using
r.out.tiff (not sure how to output an rgb as a tiff file, but I output
map.red), and it also seemed fuzzy. I should also note that doing the
same process to create a PNG file using just image0 and image1 worked
fine without any noticeable fuzziness. What might be an explanation for
this behavior? I have more images to add. Is the image quality going to
degrade further? Is there anything I can do to produce a large (this
one was 5610 x 2560) image that's as clear as GRASS will display in
X11?

Thanks,
David