[GRASS5] Re: [Fwd: whinging about GRASS again]

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Tue Feb 1 12:19:31 EST 2005

Markus Neteler said (with snips):

> Only: I don't know how to program tcl/tk and have no time to
> learn it.
>
> Voluteers needed.
> General suggestion: *Make* little things instead of proposing big
> changes. Above suggestion from PC + mine could be implemented in
> maybe 0.5h by someone knowing tcl/tk. Unfortunately it won't
> happen... sigh.
>
> Still pessimistic to find a tcl/tk programmer who makes a clean-up
> of the start screen layout (idea on paper on my table).
> And adds the desired button for calling the "create location from data
> set" script.
>
> Any hope?

I played around with Tcl/Tk years ago, but I no longer really count it as
a language I'm fluent in. (That doesn't mean I won't take a look at the
Tcl/Tk bugs/wishes once I have the head branch configured, compiled and
running on my SuSE 9.2.)

I'd be working about 10 times faster if I could use Java/Swing for GUI
work, but that would introduce Yet Another Platform (albeit one that works
on everything from cellphones to mainframes). It becomes a question of
whether the impedance-matching overhead is worth the benefits the platform
might buy us.

In any event, Markus is calling for small adaptations to existing stuff
rather than larger changes, so I guess I'd better go find some recent
documentation for Tcl/Tk... :)

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Polymathix