[GRASS5] [bug #2978] (grass) v.sample like old s.sample

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Thu Feb 10 17:58:23 EST 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2978

Subject: v.sample like old s.sample

Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: GRASS 6.0.0beta1 (2005)

Greetings!

i have used s.sample in GRASS 54 to take subsamples of raster data at
predefined points of interest -- and it works perfectly!!

However, in GRASS60 v.sample seems to have some troublesome required
parameters...

For example. I have a line, freshly digitized, but without any attribute
data. I create points along this line with v.to.points. The resulting points
have no attributes either. When trying to sample a raster along these points
v.sample dies complaining about not being able to find a field (i think that
it means "layer" and thus no attributes...). this is what i expected, as the
input points vector has no attribute table.

Would it be possible to add a mode to v.sample, that would simply sample a
raster at the points in question, similar to how s.sample operated?

Thanks!