[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:5851] Download Grass OSX aqua (new with changes)

Lorenzo Moretti lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
Tue Feb 22 10:51:36 EST 2005

Hi all

It's ready last CVS (050219) for GRASS 6 with A NEW MENU IN AQUA NATIVE.

You have to download and install before the grass libraries patch for
enabling this features from:
http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/files/grasslib_patch_aqua_gdal_e00_050202.zip

It includes:
- previous GDAL patch;
- e00 import files;
- NEW AQUA OSX MENU for GRASS 6.

After download last GRASS 6 CVS from my cvs page:

http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/downloadcvs.htm

Drag grass60cvs app inside /Applications/Grass folder.

Open grass60cvs and now you can select your preferred menu: OSX and/or X11.

Grass use TclTk for GIS Manager and TclTk is available in Mac OS X
under 2 release: X11 and Aqua native.
I use all X11 tcltk libs and 1 runtime app with name "Wish Shell" for
AQUA version.
All is installed in /usr/local/grasslib folder.
Wish Shell.app (runtime version for TclTkAqua) is installed in
/usr/local/grasslib/bin.
Nothing is outside: nothing goes to conflict.
More info about TclTk: http://www.tcl.tk
More info about TclTkAqua: http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/

GRASS WITH MENU IN OS X
=======================

1) I have created a small starting application in apple-script-studio

2) Inside grass60cvs application in Contents/Resources there are 2 folders:

grass-6.0.cvs
grassx-6.0.cvs

The first one is the complete package with all code and it works in X11.
The second one is for Grass with OS X menu and it has all symbolic
links to the first one but 3 files:
only 3 files are modified in grassx-6.0.cvs

3) changes only for OSX menu version
changes in etc/Init.sh

row 188-189 (X11 OSX version in grass-6.0.cvs/etc/Init.sh )
- export GRASS_TCLSH=/usr/local/grasslib/bin/tclsh
- export GRASS_WISH=/usr/local/grasslib/bin/wish

row 188-189
+ export GRASS_TCLSH=/usr/local/grasslib/bin/Wish\
Shell.app/Contents/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.4/Tcl
+ export GRASS_WISH=/usr/local/grasslib/bin/Wish\
Shell.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish\ Shell

- if [ ! "$GRASS_TCLSH" ] ; then
-     GRASS_TCLSH=tclsh
-     export GRASS_TCLSH
- fi
-
- if [ ! "$GRASS_WISH" ] ; then
-    WISH_OS=`echo 'puts $tcl_platform(platform) ; exit 0' | wish`
-    if [ "$?" = 0 -a "$WISH_OS" = macintosh ] ; then
-      #force X11 tcl on Mac:
-      GRASS_WISH=/usr/bin/wish
-    else
-      GRASS_WISH=wish
-    fi
-    export GRASS_WISH
- fi

row 582
      # Check for tcltk interface
      tcltk)
-        "$GISBASE/scripts/d.m" &
+        "$GISBASE/scripts/d.m" | sh &
  	;;

changes in etc/dm/dm.tcl

Search and Replace all:
Control-Key    --> Command-Key

changes in etc/dm/menu.tcl

Search and Replace all:
all file 1     -->     all file 0
all options 1  -->     all options 0
{} "" 1        -->     {} "" 0
" 1 [          -->     " 0 [
Ctrl-          -->     Command-

The changes in d.m.tcl and menu.tcl convert Ctrl-Key with
Command-Key, more natural for all Mac apps: you can print with
Command-P or save the workspace with Command-S (apple-S).

You can browse inside a Mac standard dialog, you can use Copy-Paste
inside the box and much more: it's completely a new experience.

CONS.
- a bit slower refresh in GIS Manager list in OSX Aqua;
- display raster map with legend is erased at the end (but the future
version of GIS Manager changes this feature and it works)
- d.font freeze under OSX Aqua (I think that d.font search X11 fonts
from Aqua and it doesn't find them)

Comments and other changes (font menu, print menu, etc...) are welcome

Bye

||      Lorenzo Moretti        e-mail: lorenzo.moretti at bologna.enea.it
||/|/|  ENEA prot/idr          Web: http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/
||   |  via Don Fiammelli, 2   FTP: ftp://ftpamb.bologna.enea.it/ (ris.)
~~~~~~  40128 BOLOGNA - ITALY  Ph: +39-0516098086  Fax: +39-0516098131