[GRASS5] [bug #2893] (grass) no metadata module available

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Thu Jan 6 03:28:07 EST 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2893

Subject: no metadata module available

Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: 5.7 CVS Snapshot 01.01.05

Dear list,

I would like to continue the discussion about integrating a metadata module into GRASS, before a new version 6 is released. I realized that v.info saves
some information:

v.info -h training_halo
COMMAND: v.in.ogr -o -e dsn="./training7.shp" output="training_halo" min_area=0.0001 snap=-1
GISDBASE: /daten2/grassdata
LOCATION: nnw MAPSET: norden_p7 USER: dassau DATE: Thu Aug 26 15:29:48 2004

for raster data I know Markus created a simple script to add metedata, but it is not in the source code yet and I think it is not a real solution but temporary.

I think GRASS urgently needs a module to save, create and manipulate metadata for raster and vector maps. I hope it will be integrated soon, maybe before a GRASS 6.0 is released.

thanks a lot
  Otto

PS: I added some mails from posted from Otto, Radim and Helena in september 04.

####### from Otto answered by Radim 04/09/02

> Dear list,
>
> I would like to add metadata to maps in GRASS 5.7 but I can't find any
> modules to edit related history files in the directory /hist.
>
> For raster data in GRASS 5.0 and 5.3 r.support allows to add additional
> comments, but this module doesn't exist in GRASS 5.7 anymore.
>
> For vector data, the old v.digit allows to add comments but the new
> digitizing tool does not.
>
> Does there already exist a module to add metadata, is this simply missing
> yet or will metadata be handled totally different in GRASS 5.7?

I think that vector metadata should be stored in 'head', not in 'hist'.
Currently there are no tools for manipulation of user metadata in 'head' file.
Which kind of metadata?

Radim

####### From Helena 04/09/02

Radim,

metadata can be quite large so it would be useful to have a separate file for
it. I don't know whether it is possible to add it to GRASS5.7 at this point
but they are very important, as they often include information about the
data accuracy, when exactly the survey was made, who is the point of contact,
what kind of processing was done to the data and anything else that the data creator
may consider important. US has a standard metadata form that is provided
for each data set - attached is an example of standard metadata file.
It does not have to be so detailed, but a lot of the information provided
in this file is essential when this data are to be combined with data
from other sources.
I am sure that for many users it is important to be able to edit the metadata,
especially if one wants to add some comments about the processing that was done
to the file within GRASS. So at least to keep the capabilities for handling
metadata as in 5.3 is needed.

Helena