[GRASS5] 3D flyover from DEM?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 03:44:53 EST 2005

>>> Aside from simply setting a point of reference and drawing a
>>> static map based on a DEM, is there a way to generate a 3D map
>>> which I can use as some sort of fly-over? In other words, with a
>>> DEM and a 2D image overlaid on top, I'd like to generate a file
>>> that I can use in a 3D viewer (perhaps Quicktime or something
>>> similar) which enables me to zoom in and out and change my point
>>> of reference without going back to GRASS to redraw.

[VRML solution]
  (wasn't there a r.out.vrml once as well as r.out.pov? could of sworn)

> > Also, you can use NVIZ to render a fly-over as a series of images,
> > which can be converted to e.g. MPEG using a separate encoder.

see d.nviz for an easy solution for creating these. I think Bob
Covill's website had some examples. Tips for creating animations for
the web-wiki are on my todo list once I get back to home turf.

Also, for a while I've thought it would be not too hard to get GRASS
raster maps into TerraGear, the scenery generating end of the open
source FlightGear flight simulator. Currently it takes USGS DEMs, SRTM
DEMs, and shape files amongst other file formats for input.
 http://terragear.org
 http://flightgear.org

.. but I haven't spent any time trying this yet. I'd really like to
bring these two projects together. I think that is the most promising
long term solution for what you want.

I've also got a Matlab hack which runs a little flight sim through your
3d surface in a Matlab display window. A bit weird but it works. Export
your DEM into Matlab with r.out.mat.

luck,
Hamish