[GRASS5] [bug #2904] (grass) v.in.sites for larger site files does not finish

guest user via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Sat Jan 15 12:40:11 EST 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2904

Request number 2904 was commented on by 'guest' (guest user).
Responding to this message will send mail to the requestor.

			Request Tracker
			rt at intevation.de

Cc: grass5 at grass.itc.it

I tried to track down the problem - here is more detailed info, but no
solution yet:

The transfering of sites to vector file seems to slow down as the number
of points increases (maybe db_append_string has to go through everything
that has been written each time it adds a new point?)
but the real problem seems to be in db_close_database(driver) -
the program spends by far the most time on that function,
for illustration, 280000 points takes 3 minutes doing the transfering sites
to vect file but it spends 8 minutes on db_close_database and it extremely
slows down the machine (windows, mouse practically don't work on my computer
during those 8 minutes).  Everything else runs for a negligible time.
Slower importing of 280000 points is not really a problem, but
for larger files (500000+) I was unable to get it past
db_close_database(driver) after running it for hours.
So the bug apperas to be somewhere in lib/db/dbmi_driver/d_closedb.c or
d_close_cur.c, but I am only guessing here.