[GRASS5] Grass 5.4 CVS snapshot

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Jan 21 05:05:05 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:05:10PM +0100, Maciek Sieczka wrote:
> Maciek Sieczka <werchowyna at pf.pl>
> >Looking forward to 5.4.1 then :). Anyway, will there be a CVS source code
>
> Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it>
> >Just curious: Why not changing to 6.0?
> >Development continues there...
>
> I'm using both. Same as most GRASS people I know.

Really? Why should they?

IMHO it's better to report what's missing in the new GRASS
than continuing older (and probably buggy) software.
Of course a personal choice.

> Why not having both up to date if possible?

- e.g. to enforce that people use recent GRASS. In general they
  are free to use whatever they want, but then they will start asking
  for bugfixes for old versions (which won't happen usually).

- then, additionally, to keep the Web site below 700MB to fit onto
a single CDROM (we are at 740MB currently).

Markus

PS: To make you happy, I have stored the recent 5.5-CVS snapshot here:
    http://mpa.itc.it/markus/tmp/grass-5.5-cvs_src.tar.gz
    Note that it is probably equal or even faster to update from CVS
    directly using the -z3 flag. I was working with a 56k modem
    the last 5 years...