[GRASS5] Specifying 'database' in various modules

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Jan 22 17:15:58 EST 2005

Radim and Markus,

This is a request for a bit of fine tuning on the database modules. But I
also want to see what everyone thinks about it as it wouldn't do to make
things more difficult.

V.in.db and other database modules have a common format for specifying
attribute tables--which is a very helpful thing. There are two fields to
identify which table to use for attributes: one is called "database" and the
other is called "table". In some cases, the "database" field is a
host/database specification string (as in mysql). In other cases it is
simply a path to a table location (as in ASCII or dbf tables). I'd like to
suggest that the descriptive text that appears in the autogenerated GUI be
called "specify database or path to data table". This will make it easier
for new users (and forgetful old users like me) to know what to put in this
field.

A browse button would be nice here too, though only useful for those cases
where database is a path.

Thanks
Michael

PO Box 872402