[GRASS5] Re: [winGRASS] Building LIBGIS (GRASS60beta1) under MINGW

Mike Thomas mthomas at gil.com.au
Sat Jan 29 05:04:55 EST 2005

Hi Javier.

Javier A. Yebrin wrote:
> (cc grass5)
>
> Thanks Thomas for your support and comments.
> I'm not a programmer so I find it very difficult to understand how to get
> this working.
> If you can give me some additional hints, specially for the problem with
> wait.h and its functions, I'll be very much happy.
> I extend this request to the GRASS developers list, as I believe they could
> contribute to this quest just with a little effort.

Probably more so than me as I am out of touch with the current GRASS
development effort.

My understanding is that "sys/wait.h" defines functions for waiting for
forked processes to return.  The Windows equivalent would be Windows API
functions like WaitForSingleObject() or WaitForMultipleObjects() after
CreateProcess().  If you wanted to use Visual C Runtime library
functions to start a process and wait for it to return (as used by
MinGW32) you could start processes off with the spawn family of
functions with P_WAIT as the mode argument.  You will need to review
your particular segments of code and see what is best for you there.

To get more information on the above functions google for strings like
"msdn spawn functions" and you will get straight to the official
Microsoft MSDN documentation including examples.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.