[GRASS5] setting the initial region

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Jan 30 01:03:13 EST 2005

I believe that GRASS is made more difficult by the requirement to set
the working region at start-up time.  I propose that the initial
region should be "none".  Every program that uses the region should
see that there is no region, and generate one that covers all the
available data.

In other words, if the GRASS user does not set a region, that means
that they wish to operate on the entire area covered by their data.

In other words, a sensible default.

I will write the code to make this change.  I'm proposing it here
first so that I don't waste my time doing something stupid, or doing
something that the GRASS maintainers will refuse to accept on
principle.  I can, of course, understand a refual based on the merits
of the submitted code.  Code can be fixed, but if the problem
statement is not accepted, writing code is a waste of time.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Don't like poverty?
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |