[GRASS5] Re: [Fwd: whinging about GRASS again]

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jan 31 17:08:45 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:30:55AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Michael Barton writes:
>  > > I tried GRASS 5.7 again.  The last time I tried it was almost three
>  > > years ago, in May of 2002.
>  >
>  > First, a question. Since you are trying the most current version of GRASS
>  > (something I indeed recommend), why are you testing some version of 5.7 when
>  > 6.0.0 beta 1 has been released. Depending on which version of 5.7 you are
>  > looking at, this could make an enormous difference in the functionality of
>  > GRASS.
>
> Because that's what Fedora has packaged.  When somebody says "GRASS is
> the open source GIS program", and they install the GRASS package,
> that's what they'll get.

It depends on the distribution. For SuSe 9.1 the latest GRASS is
available as RPM, also for Debian. Mandrake I don't know at time.

If a distro provides an older version of GRASS, we cannot do much.
The download page refers to locations where to get GRASS 6.0.0beta1
precompiled:

 http://grass.itc.it/download/index.php

If possible, please report on the latest release, perhaps a
few or even more problems have been already solved.

Markus