[GRASS5] v.in.ascii

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 03:54:19 EDT 2005

> Do we need topology for point data? If yes, what is in the topo file
> for points? Would it make sense to implement -b option (no topology
> built) for v.in.ascii as Radim has suggested and then change the check
> for level 2 in v.surf.rst main.c from fatal error to warning?
..
> Or would it be better to look at V_build and modify it for point data
> so that the topology for points (which I must admit do not know what
> means) does not use excessive memory? We need spatial index for point
> data but topology is not quite clear,

I prefer good defaults to multiple implementations.

i.e. either build topology for points or don't. "-b" and two levels of
point data maps is confusing. Alternatively, no -b but if the number of
points found during the scanning step of v.in.ascii is greater than say
100000, issue a warning that "topology will not be built, use v.build if
you want, etc." and skip the build step. But I expect that message will
be lost in all the chatter that the module produces and it is non-
intuitive that this might occur..?

Hamish