[GRASS5] interactive GUI possibilities

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 05:36:14 EDT 2005

As you all well know, the interactive tcl stuff is weak and non-existant
for things like r.digit, i.points, r.support, etc.  And I've never been
able to place d.rast.edit, although I always though that the d.menu from
GRASS 5 was interesting*. Not sure if the 100% cpu use is external to
this though.

[*] http://grass.ibiblio.org/gdp/html_grass5/html/d.menu.html

two packages that may be worth investigating:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/interpreters/expect-tcl8.3
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/interpreters/gtkdialog

Especially the first one:

"Expect is a program that "talks" to other interactive programs
according to a script. Following the script, Expect knows what can be
expected from a program and what the correct response should be. An
interpreted language provides branching and high- level control
structures to direct the dialogue. In addition, the user can take
control and interact directly when desired, afterward returning control
to the script."

"gtkdialog - GUI-creation command-line utility based on GTK+ library
.
gtkdialog is a GUI-creation utility based on GTK+ library that can be
used with an arbitrary interpreter.
.
Developers can describe a graphical user interface in a simple XML-like
language, and use it with any interpreter that supports either files,
standard I/O, or environment variables. It can be called as an external
program from the interpreter or used as a stand-alone framework for the
application.
.
Stand-alone, bash, and awk examples are provided."

fyi, maybe it gives someone an idea.

Hamish