[GRASS5] r.wavelet

Andrea Antonello moovida at katamail.com
Mon Jul 4 02:45:40 EDT 2005

> Thanks Andrea for prompt replay.
> In r.wavelet code I saw "Gmake" file.
> So I thought that changes are necessary
> to use it with grass6. Can Gmakefilework
> with grass6?

Yes, I simply included the r.wavelet folder in my raster folder and everything
works.

I have a quite different problem, which I first thought is a code problem of
wavelets, but I'm not that sure any more.

Some lines of background (very fast, give me the chance :o)): the wavelet
filtering process creates from one map four maps of half of the resolution.
So every processing level takes map

1

and creates four maps:

2_11, 2_12, 2_21, 2_22

that have obviously same boundaries but different (half) resolution.
Next level takes the map of the lower resolution map

2_22   (the others contain the difference values in x, y and xy)

and create:

3_11, 3_12, 3_21, 3_22

and so on for all the decomposition levels.

Things should work properly as they did, since the cellhead files look right:

map 1:

proj:   99
zone:   0
north:   730000.0
south:   590000.0
east:   850000.0
west:   580000.0
cols:   2700
rows:   1400
n-s resol:   100.0
e-w resol:   100.0
format:   -1
compressed:   1

map 3_22:

proj:       99
zone:       0
north:      730000
south:      590000
east:       850000
west:       580000
cols:       337
rows:       175
e-w resol:  801.18694362
n-s resol:  800
format:     -1
compressed: 1

So the boundary are the same, but when I visualize, the result is the
following:

http://www.hydrologis.com/testfiles/wavelet_pbl.png

The bigger map is the third level of wavelet decomposition of the smaller map.
The boundaries are the same, so I can't understand why the lower resolution
map gets stretched.

In the last years did something change in the raster apis, which I missed?

Sajith, can you try and tell me if you get the same results?

Has anyone some hint? I'm not really happy to go through some code I didn't
open for years if it is not really necessary.

> Also why r.wavelet is not part of grass6 distribution?

I guess because they seem not to work at the time :)
Honestly you are the second person that ask for multiresolution analysis in 3
years, so I think that is why they are in the add-ons section.

> Does it lacks something, like documentation?

No, the manual pages were made properly and exaustive.

Hope this can be solved,
Cheers,
Andrea