[GRASS5] [bug #3397] (grass) installation problem for Windows XP

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Tue Jul 5 13:38:13 EDT 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3397

Subject: installation problem for Windows XP

Platform: WindowsNT/2000/XP
grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
grass binary for platform: Downloaded precompiled Binaries
GRASS Version: 6.0.0

Name:  Toby Ahrens

Problem:  After I went through the downloading procedure for MS Windows/Cygwin (following exact directions on http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html), I can't open Grass.  On the download directions page (http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html), I get through every step without problems or warning messages until step 7.  At step 7, I clicked on the hot link under grass60.bat on the webpage, and I downloaded and saved it in c:\cygwin.  Then when I try to run it, a window quickly pops up for a split second and then closes again, and then nothing happens (my computer is still working fine, but the GRASS 6.0.0 never opens).  Do you have any suggestions of what I am doing wrong?

Thank you,

Toby Ahrens (email: tahrens at stanford.edu)