[GRASS5] raster filename length problem

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jul 12 15:05:21 EDT 2005

Markus Neteler wrote:

> there is a problem with long filenames somewhere:
>
> r.reclass.area modis_evi_class_forest out=modis_evi_class_forest_nosmall greater=100
> d.rast modis_evi_class_forest_nosmall
> WARNING: unable to open [modis_evi_class_forest_nosmall] in [bluetongue]
>          since it is a reclass of
>          [modis_evi_class_forest.clump.modis_evi_class_foresbluetongue] in
>                                                             ^-PROBLEM
>          [bluetongue] which does not exist
> WARNING: unable to open raster map [modis_evi_class_forest_nosmall in
>          bluetongue]
> ERROR: Not able to open cellfile for [modis_evi_class_forest_nosmall]
>
> I searched around in r.stats, r.clump, r.reclass, d.rast but didn't
> find the problem. The desired filename interally created by r.reclass.area
> will be of around 60 chars.

In gis.h:

	struct Reclass
	{
	    char name[50];  	    /* name of cell file being reclassed    */
	    char mapset[50]; 	    /* mapset in which "name" is found      */
[snip]

More generally, it would help if we had standardised NAME_MAX and
MAPSET_MAX constants, rather than having arbitrary integer literals
scattered all over the code.