[GRASS5] GRASS release policy needed

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Jul 21 08:05:27 EDT 2005

Hi developers and power users,

in June I made a try to release GRASS 6.0.1:
 http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2005-June/018798.html

It turned out to be more complicated:
 http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2005-July/thread.html#18820

Some observations

1. the bugtracker is full of (old) bugs
2. some of the bugs are known for years, but nobody is interested/able
   to fix them
3. some of the well know bugs have hold the intended release, but see 2.
4. While the release procedure is well documented in doc/howto_release.txt
   it is rather unclear when and under which conditions to release.

Opinion

We should implement a better release management.
I think that a long standing bug (see 2. above) should not hold a release
if noone offers to fix it in *reasonable* time (e.g., range of days).
Currently a couple of important fixes are still officially unpublished
such as (nearly randomly selected):

	* db/drivers/dbf/dbfexe.c: set columns to null before insert

	* include/gisdefs.h: G_is_little_endian() was missing  [merge from
	  HEAD]

	* lib/db/: dbmi_client/start.c, dbmi_driver/driver.c: set correctly
	  GISRC mode

	* db/drivers/dbf/dbfexe.c: free statement  <- the famous LIDAR fix

	* lib/vector/Vlib/map.c: use original key also for index

	* lib/vector/Vlib/map.c: use original key

	* lib/vector/Vlib/intersect.c: segment and line intersection fix

	* lib/proj/... fix ETRS89 datum problems

	* raster/r.proj/: bilinear.c, bordwalk.c, cubic.c, main.c,
	  nearest.c: Morten Hulden...

	* lib/gis/make_loc.c: meter -> meters

	* lib/vector/Vlib/bridges.c: endless loop fix on zero length
	  boundaries

	* vector/v.db.connect/main.c: field info fix

Currently we have 132 unreleased fixes in 6.0-CVS. IMHO a pity to not
make them available officially to the user community.

Just my 0.02 Eurocent

 Markus